Thoughts on the surface of my mental desk this afternoon:
- Just started reading Revelation (been a long time since I ventured in there…) – God nailed me with the beginning of chapter 2 in the letter to the church at Ephesus. Talks about knowing their deeds, their perseverance and their endurance – all commendable – and then he tells them that he's upset with them because they've left their first love. God was reminding me that he sees my faithfulness and endurance in the work he's called me to, but that he wants more than that – he wants my heart, my affection, my love and devotion. He wants me to work with him because I'm passionate about him, not to work for him because I have to. Big distinction.
- Went along with a sermon I heard Monday (maybe) by Matt Chandler of The Village Church somewhere in Texas. He was preaching (this dude preaches; no "sharing", no "talking", just preaching) about having affection for Jesus, and that at the core of some of our sin struggles and ineffectiveness for the kingdom is our lack of affection for Jesus. Hard to hear, but right on the money for me.
- I've got just one more Mark message to prepare and then we'll be on to the new topics for the new year. Changing up the teaching schedule a bit for 2009. I'm going to break up series into 3 week chunks. The fourth Sunday of every month we're going to hang out on one Biblical theme – redemption. Going to look at how it plays out from the beginning to end of Scripture. So we'll have three weeks of series, and then one week off as we touch on redemption. I'm excited about it, we'll see if anyone else is in a couple of weeks 🙂
- Excited for Rita to have some time off around Christmas. She works Christmas Eve but then she's off until the following Tuesday. We'll be in CT for part of it, and home for some of it as well, but I'm looking forward to the down time together with her and the kids.
- Looks like the mini high school reunion is going to happen for sure on the Saturday after Christmas as well, just adults, no kids is the plan. Should be fun to reconnect with old friends to see where their life journey has taken them!
- Trying to get under 180 pounds before Christmas. Haven't seen numbers in the 170's probably since college, maybe High School, so that would be a significant achievement for me.
- Cleaned out some junk from the file cabinets in my office on Tuesday – man I had a TON of stuff in there that was totally unnecessary. Got most of my sermons into binders, but let some of them go into the trash. For those of you who suffered through the "early years", my apologies 🙂 some of those were probably terribly, terribly boring.
- I love Mike Lowell, but I hope the Sox sign Mark Texeira to play first base – I think they could use the help in their lineup that he'd bring.
That's all for now…I may be back tomorrow with a preview for Sunday, but no guarantees. If not, hope to have you back on Monday.