Lots of thoughts cluttering my brain this week, so I thought I'd unload some of them here:
- Had a brief conversation with Rita last night about our personal giving to the church and mission of the kingdom – I've been feeling challenged while preparing the messages on managing our money, so I think we're going to make some changes coming up. I think there's no better way to lead than by example.
- Coaching Jacob's instructional league baseball team could be the most draining thing I've ever done. An hour and 15 minutes has never gone by so quickly and never taken so much out of me. My assistant coach and I agreed – you could not pay me enough money to be a first grade teacher.
- Speaking of first grade teachers, my son has had the privilege of running into one of the best. After our first interaction with her on a parent night in the first week of school I told Rita that she reminded me of my own first grade teacher, Mrs. Stack. When you can still remember your first grade teacher in a positive light at age 33+, I'd say that's a good comparison. So thanks to Mrs. Stack for being an incredible teacher to me, and thanks to Mrs. Sauro for the incredible effort you've given to Jacob this year. I have no doubt he'll remember you at 33.
- Speaking of kids… I woke up this morning to the sound of my kids reading to each other in Aislinn's room. Some days they amaze me, literally. As a parent you wrestle over and over with the constant shaping of their character, the incessant need to give them sound direction and the agonizing hope that they will "get it". I laid in bed listening to them while a wave of thanksgiving swept over me for a moment when they were speaking to each other with kindness and interacting with each other positively.
- I haven't been to the gym in almost two weeks, the result of an unfortunate meeting between me and poison ivy. I can't wait to get back to it. My gut is begging for a beating.
- I've been working on the writing for a new book on character that we can use in our partnerships at the church. The idea is to explore the beatitudes in Matthew 5 as a manifesto for character in the kingdom of God, and I hope to finish up the first manuscript in the next couple months. That will require, however, that I get my act together. And then editing. Gotta love editing. Or not.
- There's been some discussion with a few people here at the church about the possibility of hosting some kind of a block party event for the community this summer. More details to follow, but the key is I've already had somebody say they love to organize things, which is music to the ears of this organizationally and administratively challenged person.
- Looking forward to two things tonight: (1) Worship practice – I love playing with these guys!! (2)Celtics/Magic, Game 2 tonight. Hopefully the C's play with more energy than they did in Game 1.
Thanks for indulging me in offloading these thoughts to a page. Now, back to work on the message.