Today has that “two coffee morning” kind of feel to it for me. Maybe you need a second cup as well? Also, it’s officially October, so there’s that to celebrate as well, since that means fall is really arriving and I think we’re going to have a beautiful autumn with all the cool, crisp nights we’ve been having lately.
We could continue the small talk, or we could dive into the weekend reflections, so let’s just get to business, shall we?
- If we are home, Friday night has turned into family movie night with the kids. This time around it was Seth’s choice and we watched Iron Man 3 (even though I haven’t seen 1 or 2, but that’s ok).
- I’m not really a superhero movie fan – not sure why, because I love other epic stories, but the whole comic book/superhero genre never does anything for me. Rita and the kids seemed to enjoy it, so that’s probably all that matters.
- Saturday morning was our typical CrossFit morning, except Rita and I had to do our scored workout for the challenge we’re participating in.
- Who knew 3:58 could feel so long and make my lungs feel like they were on fire?
- We had plans to hang out with friends on Saturday night, so Saturday afternoon was a pretty lazy day. No complaints from me. I may have even fallen asleep on two separate occasions. Possibly.
- Saturday night with friends was great. I’m learning to relax on Saturdays better than I have in the past, and this was no exception.
- I’m a fan of good food, as I think it makes even good company somehow feel better. Steaks, sausages, grilled veggies and all kinds of other food I couldn’t eat were on the menu, and I was able to eat clean again despite all the temptations.
- The night also might have included some of us participating in dance-off competitions on the Wii with “Just Dance”. It also might have included me getting a vigorous poke to the eye while my wife and I were dancing off.
- Sunday dawned bright and early and it really felt like I was settling into the routine needed for me to get ready for both services.
- Some weeks I really feel like the message connects with people, and this was definitely one of them. The attentiveness in both services was awesome, and for the first time in the four weeks I felt like I was able to bring the same energy and intensity to both messages.
- I’ve found through the years of preaching and teaching that there are some themes in the Scripture that just really get me fired up – talking about getting involved in ministry and allowing God to use you despite your inadequacies is one of those for me.
- The other side of giving better energy to both message is that by the time I got home Sunday afternoon I was ready to crash.
- There really is nothing better than a Sunday nap. Not even two on Saturday 🙂
- Sunday evening was our prayer night, which was a quiet, more reflective atmosphere than Sunday morning, and was something I really needed. I love being able to pray with other folks from the church about seeing us become everything God wants us to be.
- Monday (the extra weekend day for me this week) I got to spend most of the day with two good friends who pastor churches in different parts of the state. I always leave those times encouraged and challenged to follow Jesus better and serve the church well. I’m grateful for other men God has given me to sharpen my ministry!
- Monday night was a long overdue date night with Rita. It included a phenomenal dinner at a Peruvian/Bolivian place in Providence called Los Andes. My West Virginia born wife who arrived in Rhode Island thinking fish sticks were seafood surprised me by not only ordering, but loving, the salmon ceviche. From the outside the place doesn’t look like much, but trust me, the food and the service were both excellent all night long! It was worth marking “cheat” on my diet for this meal.
- Ended the night with a few hundred other “friends” watching Needtobreathe play at the Met in Pawtucket. Small venue + great live band = an amazing show.
- Any time a band can end a show with a truly acoustic song where you can hear their instruments and voices coming together I think it’s something pretty special. That was the case last night, and it was the perfect end to another excellent weekend!